""- As 'twere, in the peerless panorama of Ireland's portfolio, unmatched, despite their wellpraised prototypes in other vaunted prize regions, for very beauty, of bosky grove and undulating plain and luscious pastureland of vernal green, steeped in the transcendent translucent glow of our mild mysterious Irish twilight... |
- The moon, professor MacHugh said. He forgot Hamlet." (U7.320)
"-HIS NATIVE DORIC |
- That mantles the vista far and wide and wait till the glowing orb of the moon shines forth to irradiate her silver effulgence...
- O! Mr Dedalus cried, giving vent to a hopeless groan. Shite and onions! That'll do, Ned. Life is too short." (U7.330)
|"Daughter engaged to that chap in the inland revenue office with the motor. Hooked that nicely. Entertainments open house. Big blow out. Wetherup always said that. Get a grip of them by the stomach." (U7.340)|
"The inner door was opened violently and a scarlet beaked face, crested by a comb of feathery hair, thrust itself in. The bold blue eyes stared about them and the harsh voice asked: |
- What is it?
- And here comes the sham squire himself! professor MacHugh said grandly.
- Getonouthat, you bloody old pedagogue! the editor said in recognition." (U7.344)
"- Come, Ned, Mr Dedalus said, putting on his hat. I must get a drink after that. |
- Drink! the editor cried. No drinks served before mass." (U7.351)
"- Quite right too, Mr Dedalus said, going out. Come on, Ned. |
Ned Lambert sidled down from the table. The editor's blue eyes roved towards Mr Bloom's face, shadowed by a smile.
- Will you join us, Myles? Ned Lambert asked." (U7.354)
"MEMORABLE BATTLES RECALLED |
- North Cork militia! the editor cried, striding to the mantelpiece. We won every time! North Cork and Spanish officers!
- Where was that, Myles? Ned Lambert asked with a reflective glance at his toecaps.
- In Ohio! the editor shouted.
- So it was, begad, Ned Lambert agreed.
Passing out he whispered to J.J. O'Molloy:
- Incipient jigs. Sad case.
- Ohio! the editor crowed in high treble from his uplifted scarlet face. My Ohio!
- A perfect cretic! the professor said. Long, short and long." (U7.358)
"The telephone whirred inside. |
- Twenty eight... No, twenty... Double four... Yes." (U7.384)
"SPOT THE WINNER |
Lenehan came out of the inner office with Sport' s tissues.
- Who wants a dead cert for the Gold cup? he asked. Sceptre with O. Madden up.
He tossed the tissues on to the table.
Screams of newsboys barefoot in the hall rushed near and the door was flung open.
- Hush, Lenehan said. I hear feetstoops." (U7.386)
"Professor MacHugh strode across the room and seized the cringing urchin by the collar as the others scampered out of the hall and down the steps. The tissues rustled up in the draught, floated softly in the air blue scrawls and under the table came to earth. |
- It wasn't me, sir. It was the big fellow shoved me, sir." (U7.394)
"- Throw him out and shut the door, the editor said. There's a hurricane blowing.|
Lenehan began to paw the tissues up from the floor, grunting as he stooped twice.
- Waiting for the racing special, sir, the newsboy said. It was Pat Farrell shoved me, sir. " (U7.399)
"- Yes... Evening Telegraph here, Mr Bloom phoned from the inner office. Is the boss...? Yes, Telegraph... To where...? Aha! Which auction rooms...? Aha! I see... Right. I'll catch him. |
A COLLISION ENSUES
The bell whirred again as he rang off." (U7.411)
"- Knee, Lenehan said. |
He made a comic face and whined, rubbing his knee:
- The accumulation of the anno Domini.
- Sorry, Mr Bloom said." (U7.420)
"The noise of two shrill voices, a mouthorgan, echoed in the bare hallway from the newsboys squatted on the doorsteps: |
- We are the boys of Wexford
Who fought with heart and hand." (U7.425)
"EXIT BLOOM |
- I'm just running round to Bachelor's walk, Mr Bloom said, about this ad of Keyes's. Want to fix it up. They tell me he's round there in Dillon's." (U7.429)