|The 'Telemachus' episode takes place in and near the Martello tower in Sandycove. This is a map of Dublin & environs, Sandycove stretching between Kingstown and Dalkey on the southeast shoreline. It shows the location of various Martello towers.|
"Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed. A yellow dressinggown, ungirdled, was sustained gently behind him by the mild morning air. He held the bowl aloft and intoned: |
- Introibo ad altare Dei.
Halted, he peered down the dark winding stairs and called up coarsely:
- Come up, Kinch! Come up, you fearful jesuit!
Solemnly he came forward and mounted the round gunrest." (U1.1)
|"He faced about and blessed gravely thrice the tower, the surrounding country and the awaking mountains. Then, catching sight of Stephen Dedalus, he bent towards him and made rapid crosses in the air, gurgling in his throat and shaking his head." (U1.9)|
"Stephen Dedalus, displeased and sleepy, leaned his arms on the top of the staircase and looked coldly at the shaking gurgling face that blessed him, equine in its length, and at the light untonsured hair, grained and hued like pale oak. |
Buck Mulligan peeped an instant under the mirror and then covered the bowl smartly.
- Back to barracks! he said sternly." (U1.11)
"He added in a preacher's tone: |
- For this, O dearly beloved, is the genuine Christine: body and soul and blood and ouns. Slow music, please. Shut your eyes, gents. One moment. A little trouble about those white corpuscles. Silence, all." (U1.20)
|"He peered sideways up and gave a long low whistle of call, then paused awhile in rapt attention, his even white teeth glistening here and there with gold points. Chrysostomos." (U1.24)|
"Two strong shrill whistles answered through the calm. |
- Thanks, old chap, he cried briskly. That will do nicely. Switch off the current, will you?" (U1.26)
"He skipped off the gunrest and looked gravely at his watcher, gathering about his legs the loose folds of his gown. The plump shadowed face and sullen oval jowl recalled a prelate, patron of arts in the middle ages. A pleasant smile broke quietly over his lips. |
- The mockery of it! he said gaily. Your absurd name, an ancient Greek!" (U1.30)
"Buck Mulligan showed a shaven cheek over his right shoulder. |
- God, isn't he dreadful? he said frankly. A ponderous Saxon. He thinks you're not a gentleman. God, these bloody English! Bursting with money and indigestion." (U1.50)
"Because he comes from Oxford. You know, Dedalus, you have the real Oxford manner." (U1.53)|
|The University of Oxford (Oxford, England), is the oldest university in the English-speaking world, dating at least to the 11c. With its rival Cambrige, it is one of the two most selective and prestigious universities in the UK. Oxford has 39 colleges, each with its own internal structure and activities. Currently, Oxford prides itself on having educated 4 British, and at least 8 foreign kings, 47 Nobel prize-winners, 3 Fields medallists, 25 British Prime Ministers, 28 foreign presidents and prime ministers, 7 saints, 86 archbishops, 18 cardinals, and 1 pope.|
" I'm not a hero, however. If he stays on here I am off. |
Buck Mulligan frowned at the lather on his razorblade. He hopped down from his perch and began to search his trouser pockets hastily.
- Scutter! he cried thickly.
He came over to the gunrest and, thrusting a hand into Stephen's upper pocket, said:
- Lend us a loan of your noserag to wipe my razor." (U1.62)
"He mounted to the parapet again and gazed out over Dublin bay, his fair oakpale hair stirring slightly. |
- God! he said quietly. Isn't the sea what Algy calls it: a great sweet mother? The snotgreen sea. The scrotumtightening sea. Epi oinopa ponton." (U1.75)
"Ah, Dedalus, the Greeks! I must teach you. You must read them in the original. Thalatta! Thalatta! She is our great sweet mother. Come and look.|
Stephen stood up and went over to the parapet." (U1.79)
"Leaning on it he looked down on the water and on the mailboat clearing the harbour mouth of Kingstown.|
- Our mighty mother! Buck Mulligan said.
He turned abruptly his grey searching eyes from the sea to Stephen's face." (U1.82)